Silver State Striders Ultra Runners Mission: We advance the community of ultra running by volunteering; by encouraging runners who are new to the sport; by supporting runners who are already involved in the sport; by conducting our training in a friendly and supportive environment; by training and racing through all types of weather and on all types of terrain; by knowing that all runners, no matter ability or accomplishment level, are all members of the same community.
The Silver State Striders Ultra runners use training schedules and foundational ultra philosophies designed by several of the area’s top ultramarathoners. The Striders’ Ultra training philosophy is based on proven effective training runs and nutritional techniques.
A core group of runners, who are among the most experienced Ultra runners in northern Nevada, devise the year’s training schedule based on the needs and race goals of the Striders’ Ultra group.
The ultra training group normally runs together Tuesday and Thursday evenings, at various locations throughout Reno, as well on Saturday and Sunday mornings. Run distances on weeknights is usually in the 9- to 12-mile range, with long runs on Saturdays stretching from 16 to 30 miles. Most of the runs are done on trails, with a good amount of climbing and descending. Runners are encouraged to bring water, energy gels, and weather appropriate clothing. Weekly runs, with times, locations and driving directions, are posted each Monday on the Training Schedule page, as well as the Truckee Meadows Running Facebook.
In addition, the Striders’ ultra organization includes one entry each year into the Western States 100-mile Endurance Run. One Strider is selected each year via the Striders’ annual lottery for this spot. Below is the criteria one must meet in order to be included in the Striders’ 2018 WS 100 lottery.
Criteria for qualification for Silver State Striders’ Western States 100M slot:
- Must compile 25 hours of volunteer duty during 2018 at a combination of the following events:
- Silver State 50/50 (course marking, packet pick up, trailer loading/unloading all count towards hours in addition to aid station work- pacing during the event does not count toward volunteer hours)
- The Canyons Endurance Runs (must work “The Pump” aid station)
- Foresthill aid station at Western States (must include trailer loading or unloading and pacing during the event does not count toward volunteer hours)
- Tunnel Creek aid station at Tahoe Rim Trail 100 (must work 7pm-11am Strider shift and pacing during the event does not count toward volunteer hours)
- “Strider Cleanup Days” at the Strider Trailer at Crystal Ice Facility
Other important information:
- All volunteer hours and intention to be considered for the Striders’ lottery must be submitted to John Trent, firstname.lastname@example.org, no later than Nov. 14, 2018. Please keep close track of your volunteer hours and have them clearly annotated with hours and dates/events you volunteered when you submit them.
- All volunteer hours must be compiled in the same calendar year as that year’s WS lottery (i.e., 2018 hours for 2018 lottery only).
- Selection will be made prior to Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run lottery in December. Date, time and location for drawing for Strider slot will be announced in fall 2018. You don’t have to be present to be selected.
- Representing the Striders at Western States is an incredible opportunity. And we love to see our Strider Family members participate, so we encourage applicants to join us regularly for weekday and weekend runs throughout the year. Training schedule can be found at or join our weekly mailing list by sending an email to email@example.com with the subject line “weekly mailing list request”.
Questions regarding the Striders’ WS lottery? firstname.lastname@example.org
General questions regarding Striders ultra training? Email email@example.com
Western States Strider Volunteering Opportunities
- The Canyons Endurance Runs (the Pump) – April 28, 2018
- Silver State 50/50 (Striders race) – May 19, 2018
- Western States 100 (Foresthill) – June 23-24, 2018
- TRTER 100M/50M/55K (Tunnel Creek) – July 21-22, 2018